Monday, January 10, 2011

Day Four

12/31/10 8:50 AM
Day 4? They sort of all blur

Shelby and I just woke up and got ready for the day. I'm in Africa and I'm cold. What is this? I'm on the freaking equator. I slept in a sweatshirt last night and now I have jeans and a sweatshirt on. The rooster is something else. It makes sure you know when to get up. And I swear it's just walking around the house checking on us.

There's an interesting religious dynamic in village life. They are Christians. That is a fact. The Nkikko village is all Presbyterian, a Presbyterian village. But at the same time they acknowledge the ancestors in the winds. Yesterday the kola nuts we smashed to see if the ancestors approved. Three nuts were smashed, one for each member of the trinity. The pieces were rolled out and it turns out that the ancestors approve and will provide us safe travel home. We all ate a piece of the kola nut. It did not taste good...but as Shelby put it this morning "we couldn't not eat it, it was Jesus!"

"he who brings kola nut brings life."

No comments:

Post a Comment