Monday, March 29, 2010

TOMS

So APril 8th is TOMS A DAY WITHOUT SHOES.
The idea is that people will go the entire day (or as much of the day that they can) without wearing shoes. What is the purpose of this you ask? we spread awareness about the impact a simple pair of shoes can have on a child’s life.

I am organizing an underground TOMS movement on AUC's campus. I've gotten a bunch of people to sign up adn I am hoping even more will before the 8th. I decided to share the information with President Wendth. I wonder if I can get him on baord. My real hope isn't so much that he too will go barefoot (though that would be amazing), my goal in sharing the information with him is to make it so that the students (and staff) that decide to participate wont be told that they have to put shoes on. I want to spread as much awareness as possible!

Here's the details:
  • Fact #1:In some developing nations, children must walk for miles to food, clean water and to seek medical help.
  • Fact #2:Cuts and sores on feet can lead to serious infection.
  • Fact #3:Often, children cannot attend school barefoot.
  • Fact #4:In Ethiopia, approximately one million people are suffering from Podoconiosis, a debilitating and disfiguring disease caused by walking barefoot in volcanic soil.
  • Fact #5: Podoconiosis is 100% preventable by wearing shoes.

I'm going to make myself a t-shirt as well to spread awareness. Hmm maybe I should contact the newspaper?

For more info check it out: http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment