Thursday, November 18, 2010

Princeton wrap-up

I am really glad I decided to take the trip down to Princeton. I have known so many people that have gone through Princeton that I had an image of it in my headed, but I really needed to go there and see if the image in my head actually matched up with the school. Overall, I would say that it did. Here is my breakdown of Princeton:
What I liked:
  • The campus is beautiful
  • Almost everyone lives on campus, which is great because it puts a real emphasis on community
  • Faculty all live very close to campus
  • There are three dorms on campus and everyone is intermingled (it isn't like Juniors live in one, middlers in another, and seniors in a third). I went into a dorm room and it was gigantic compared to dorms at other schools. And everybody gets a single!
  • the faculty I met seemed very approachable and students say that the faculty is amazing
  • There seems to be a great dining area (yes they always put out better food when prospectives come but the regular food was great too), they know how to cook proper vegetarian food (not the AUC fake stuff), and they will cater for dietary needs!
  • Worship isn't mandatory but it is offered every day. And every service is different.
  • There is a multicultural aspect.
  • Everyone on campus genuinely seems nice. Students, faculty, staff, etc stopped and talked to me because I was looking at the school.
  • It's PCUSA, so basically I could be living polity everyday, which will really help with the ordination process
  • 100% of tuition is covered
  • Not everyone is going into Pastoral Ministry. I have no clue what I want to do. I feel called to serve in ordained ministry but I'm not sure in which capacity. I have interests in Social Justice, The Global South,and Ecumenical relations but what can I do with that?
  • The classes are amazing. And just because 2 people are getting the same degree doesn't mean they will take the same classes. My friend and her husband have both done the M.Div program at PTS and only took 3 of the same classes.

What I don't like:

  • It's 5 hours from home...I'm sick of driving after the first 2 hours
  • I got lost in the middle of nowhere New Jersey on my way home!
  • It's more rural than I was hoping for (but apparently its 1 hour to NYC, 1 hour to Philly, not too far from the Poconos, not two far to the beach, etc so you make it work)

Obviously the list of things I like greatly outweigh the list of things I don't like. So if I get in, it's pretty easy to see that PTS would be my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment