Saturday, January 7, 2012

It's Been Four Years

It's been four years since you've been gone, but it feels like just yesterday.
You left entirely way too soon.
                   You didn't get to see my college graduation
                   You won't get to see me finish seminary.
                   Who's going to walk me down the aisle when I wear the white dress?
I know it's been four year but the pain is like it was just yesterday.
                  I know it was for the best
                  Your pain ended and you got to rest
But I need you and miss you!
I miss your corny jokes
I miss the racing lobsters down the hall with you
I miss our trips to the aquarium and watching the penguins while holding your hand
I miss your awful beef soup
I miss your chicken soup with half a bag of mozzarella cheese
I miss muting the TV and turning on the radio to have the best Red Sox commentary
I miss you embarrassing me in church and wish I could have appreciated it more
I miss standing in front of the polling places on cold November nights
I miss the sounds of Billy Joel, Elton John, and Tom Petty 24/7.
I miss your horrendously off-key version of "Big Shot"
I miss making blueberry muffins with you
I miss throwing a baseball back and forth because we have nothing better to do
I miss your horrible rhythm and inability to follow along singing hymns
I miss the Peanut Butter and Fluff sandwiches  even after you developed an allergy
I miss sitting on the end of your bed watching caucus results come in.
I miss all of these things, but most of all, Daddy, I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment